Prep: 30 min + rising Bake: 40 min
Makes: 1 loaf of bread ( 16 Slices)
1/3 cup sugar
1 package (1/4 oz.) yeast (quick-rise)
1/3 tsp salt
3 to 3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter, cubed
1 cup chopped fresh cranberries (or frozen)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. cold butter, divided
1. In a large bowl, mix the sugar, yeast, salt and 1 cup flour. In a small saucepan, heat water, milk and butter to 120 to 130 degrees. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
2, Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine cranberries, brown sugar and water. Cook over medium heat until the cranberries are soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon juice and , if desired, walnuts. Cool.
4. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 20×10-in rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Transfer to a greased 9×5-inch loaf pan, arranging in a slight zigzag fashion to fit.
5. For the topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in 1` Tbsp. butter until crumbly. Melt remaining butter, brush over dough. Sprinkle with crumb mixture. Cover with a towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Bake 40 -45 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. ENJOY!!
TIP: Whenever you bake bread, use aluminum pans with a dull rather than a shiny or ark finishes. Glass baking dishes and dark finishes will produce darker crusts.