2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 Tbsp.. sugar
1/2 Tsp. salt
2 Sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3 Tbsp.. ice water
Foe the Filling
3 pounds assorted apples ( Cortland, Granny Smith and McIntosh)
Juice of 1 lemon
4 Tbsp.. unsalted butter
1 cup jarred cherries in syrup or whole cherry jam
Pinch of Allspice
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
1. Make your crust: Put flour, sugar and salt in a food processor to combine. Add 1/4 of the butter; process until it disappears into flour, add the remaining butter, pulse until the mixture looks like cornmeal with bean-size bits of butter. Add the water and drizzle over the flour mixture. Pulse until dough just starts coming together, stop before it gathers into a ball. Divide evenly between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and gently pat each into a disk, using the plastic wrap to help you. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
2. Make the filling: Peel and thinly slice the apples; toss in a bowl with lemon juice. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat; add the apples and cook, tossing occasionally, until juicy, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; fold in the cherries, flour, extract and allspice. Transfer to a bowl and let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
3. Roll out 1 disk of dough into a 12 inch round on lightly floured surface. Ease into a 9-inch pie plate; refrigerate until ready to fill. Transfer the other dough to a work surface. Using a chef’s knife, cut the dough into 14 to 16 half inch wide strips. Weave into a lattice on the parchment paper. Put back in the refrigerate until firm, about minutes.
5. Pour the filling into the crust. Gently slide the lattice off the paper and onto the fruit, adjusting as needed, trim the excess dough if needed, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Fold the overhanging dough under itself. Brush the lattice with the beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Refrigerate the pie 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place the pie on lowest rack on a baking sheet for 1 1/2 hours and the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Transfer to a rack and let cool at least 2 hours. ENJOY!!